The initial origin of this plant is from Southern Mexico and Guatemala in 2600 BC. Chia seeds are a “superfood” and are interesting in several aspects.
As an interesting characteristic it can be noted that Chia is an oleaginous plant since it contains more than 30% natural vegetable oil.
Main advantages of Chia are:
– It is the richest natural product containing Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
– Chia seeds do not contain cholesterol. It is different from fish products, which are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, but all of which also contain large amounts of cholesterol
– It does not need stabilisers, does not require the addition or the use of artificial antioxidants such as vitamin E
– There are no toxic or anti-nutritional factors
– Low in saturated fatty acids
– Sustainable and environmentally friendly product
– It can be stored for years without deterioration in taste, nutritional value orflavour
– Ideal as an addition to many different products, such as: baby food, infant formula, yogurt, baked goods, sauces and more.